JATO project... I welcome your input.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 3.3 is a bad ass stock engine. no need to change the carb or anything else. its cheap and reliable..

now if you want the best, get the OS 18 tz. hauls arse.

i beat the hell out of my 3.3. after 5 gals of punishment , i put it in a rs4. still powerful, easy to tune etc.

i put the 18tz in the jato for the holy poop feel. it needs the same dremel work that the losi 3.4 requires. i also switched to revo gearing 22/38. and it pulls it with ease..

i have 18rcs and my jato is prolly my favorite. close tie with my savage.. have fun with the build.

the 3.3 is a bad ass stock engine. no need to change the carb or anything else. its cheap and reliable..

i beat the hell out of my 3.3. after 5 gals of punishment , i put it in a rs4. still powerful, easy to tune etc.

i put the 18tz in the jato for the holy poop feel. it needs the same dremel work that the losi 3.4 requires. i also switched to revo gearing 22/38. and it pulls it with ease..

i have 18rcs and my jato is prolly my favorite. close tie with my savage.. have fun with the build.

That's great that you have no issues with stock carb! I know I sure have. Guess you could put 50 percent of the blame on me for not knowing what I'm doing! Ok.. 60percent but I know I'm not alone on having carb issues.. Am I ?

Not much to update. I have most everything ordered, parts are coming in a little every day. I still haven't made a decision on an engine yet. I got a 3.4 losi carb and put it on my 3.3 in my Maxx. I REALLY like that set up. I have an OS .15 that has a rotary carb that I may use if I could find a slide carb for it.

if you have a bump box go for the 18tz ,I was going to go that route but didn't have a bump box ,the 3.3 was the cheapest and easiest way to go since the 3.4 is being fazed out you can't get them from chop shops any more ,when I got mine I'm sure I only paid like 90 bucks landed to oz

IMG_1375.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1376.JPG I'm on vacation this week so I got a few minutes to work on the Jato project! I was at the LHS last night and picked up a Traxxas Pro Graphics body. I got it painted along with the rpm arms. I stripped the chassis plate and cleaned up a bunch of parts. I tore down the Transmission and inspected everything. I replaced all the bearings in it with Fast Eddy bearings and put it back together. I got the transmission and rear bumper on. Put the upper chassis plate on and installed the throttle servo which I got a new one of those. I am ready to put in the final parts order but still up in the air about the engine. The biggest problem is I change my mind way too much!!
YOUR OPINION HERE: I have 5 possibilities for an engine. #1- 3.3 traxxas with a losi 3.4 carb. I run this on my maxx and love it. The problem is that I am having a hard time finding the carb for what I paid for the other on I bought a month ago. #2- 3.4 losi engine. I'd probably end up with over 200 bucks in this. #3- Go nitro .20. Not too keen on this one as I have not heard much (good or bad) about it. However I can get one ready to drop in for 100 bucks!! #4 Dynamite .19. probably have around 160 bucks by the time I get a back plate and pull start. # 5 OS 18tz. I am leaning hard toward this one. I can be in this one for 175 bucks but I'd need a starter box (which I think I wouldn't mind just have to get one). I would need to know if i'd need a different flywheel or if the stock one will work. This Jato is gonna be a street fighter. not gonna see much if any off road.
PROGRESS PICS!!!

if you have the coin go the 18tz ,that's what I wanted to do but it was going to cost me a packet,so I opted for the 3.3 with a losi carb,either way a ths exhaust is in order and I high flow air filter ,I used one from a maxx but you could also get a motorsaver .I was really suprised with the 3.3 it has more than enough grunt to push a jato around. try amain for a losi carb ,that where I got my last one from.

I'm with you. By the time I drop 130 on a chop shop engine and put a 40 dollar carb swap, i'm right there at the price for the OS. I will be at a shop tomorrow to pick up a model rocket for my nephews Christmas gift. The last time I was in this shop he had a OS .21 maxx engine for 200. But IDK you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'd also go with the OS, if you don't mind the extra $$, or the 3.3 as the cheaper option. The Dynamite is a decent engine but is known for having a somewhat short bearing life, plus it's been discontinued so you may have a harder time if you ever need parts. A Traxxas starter will bolt up to the .19, but you'll be close to the cost of a better engine by the time you swap the bearings out. If you're looking at "cheaper" engines from chop shops, don't forget about the Traxxas 2.5. I've found it to be a solid little "basher" engine and, unless you're planning on going for top speed or put huge tires on, it should be fine in a Jato. If you have the carb from your 3.3, and a spare starter, you could throw them on this and be under $80.

you have to draw the line somewhere.
In this hobby though; I end up drawing my line in pencil, and erasing/moving it as needed.

Well I feel I score big! That OS .21 the LHS had was still there with the 200 dollar price tag. And another orange sticker that said "35 dollars off"!!! 165 for a .21??? YES PLEASE!!!!

Pretty sure that will make it scoot!!

I want to see a video of this beast running at WOT!

When I get it done, I will post a few! I'm getting pretty stoked. I ordered alum. carriers and steering blocks and new tires, and better steering servo. REALLY think I should have just ought my parts and not started with a roller. The only thing I'm reusing is transmission and chassis plate. Prob the shock towers too. The weather is gonna be crap for the next 3 months with not too many decent days here.

Made a little bit of progress! I'm home for a couple days so I got to work on it for about an hour or so. I REALLY like the Traxxas Alum. carriers and steering blocks!! SchrodeMode thanks for steering me to them.
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG
IMG_1402.JPG

You will need a wheelie bar. I suggest the stock one flipped upside down with the traxxas alloy wheels.

You will need a wheelie bar. I suggest the stock one flipped upside down with the traxxas alloy wheels.
Got them in the box! I will get alum see wheels! Thanks for the input.

So last time I worked on this project, I was putting the front end together and found the shock tower I was gonna reuse was cracked at the bottom. So I had to call on one of the faithful chop shops and get one of those. it came In today along with my flywheel/cb set. I also got in my THS pipe!!!! I have a short run today and should be home tonight or first thing in the morning. I will try to get the rest put together and post some more pics. I will be home for three days... might be able to make smoke if it warms a bit!!!!!!!

I just finished breaking mine in , mate these thing get up to speed fast plus I can snakey all the way my lane way ,sorry neighbours lol

You know we will need to see some video!!

hopefully after chrissy I can get a day to take some rigs out ,dude up the road has the traxxas bug and needs a run partner

It's not totally done but it is getting there. My kids relieved me of the window stickers for the body. The had to stick em to their toy box... The body fits terrible so I am going to have to do something different. Well I need to be off to bed.
IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1446.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG

Back