Something weird with servo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys I got a question? I installed a new Savox waterproof 231 servo. The strange thing is it's been in there for like 3 trail runs no issues. All of a sudden today my rig starts acting like the battery is dead. So I puled battery checked voltage it's almost full capacity hummm? I noticed it seems to be pulling the voltge down pretty hard when I steer it also. Put in another battery to eliminate that. Same issue so battery is fine. So I bring home unhook steering servo and flip it on takes throttle fine no funky lurching and humping and stalling. So I unhooked servo and plugged in a low power servo to check and see whats going on. With low powered servo installed everything functions fine HUMMM? Any how I put the Savox into another rig which is a nitro. Anyhow it functions fine in it what the hazey is going on here? I even installed a glitch buster and it didn't help at all. Could it be the Flysky receiver for my IT4 is messed up?

No external bec I am still on the learning curve with these electrics. I installed a new receiver and it fixed the issue.

Savox servos are known to be current hogs. The best fix is as @HPIguy said and run an external BEC or an ESC with a beefy voltage regulator.

Yeah, I hear that. The good news is that my MMP can easily power the Savox that I'm using as a shift servo as well as the Hitec 5955TG on the SCX/JK project.

I prefer to run an external BEC as cheap insurance regardless of what ESC or servos I'm using. After having a brown out induced crash, the BEC is cheaper than the crash damage. But, like all things, YMMV.

Castle standard 10A BEC is fine unless you have a lot of other electrical accessories like winches, light kits, etc. Even then it's more than enough unless you're running everything at once.

I've been chcking out Novaks BEC's may try one out. I have a winch but it's not hooked up yet. No lights maybe a light bar in future not sure yet. All I run is that Savox servo.

Cool thanks guys. Was hoping a simple plug in Bec for my Novak guess it's not that simple Dam! Hard for an old nitro guy to get the hang of these electrics LOL! So do you guys think my old receiver is fried now? Because it works fine with a low powered servo in it. I have a new one but was hoping I could maybe still use the old one.

The RX should be fine once you connect up the new external BEC.

On kits with only 2 servos and only running at 6V I just use cheap hobbywing brand BECs. On something with more current draw or Wanting to run something other than 5 or 6V I use Castles 10A BECs. I really like how you can program them using a Castle Link for any voltage between 4.8V and 9V. Castle has bigger BECs also if you need them but I've never needed one.

Cool thanks guys. Was hoping a simple plug in Bec for my Novak guess it's not that simple Dam! Hard for an old nitro guy to get the hang of these electrics LOL! So do you guys think my old receiver is fried now? Because it works fine with a low powered servo in it. I have a new one but was hoping I could maybe still use the old one.

While looking for BECs for myself I found this one, it's plug in and play. At first I didn't think anything about it, but the guy that makes this thing is the same guy that's making my light controller for my MORE/VP lights, I'm thinking about trying one since he's got a couple other things I'd like to try...not the blue monkey guy, the HeyOk guy.

http://www.bluemonkeyrc.com/catalog...ucts_id=318&osCsid=p145kanevi22100fnjglc4hpd0

Thanks alexander. That's more of what I was looking for. I'm def going to need a BEC now. I just ordered a light bar and a new winch controller for my scx10 bronco.

Okay guys still haven't got around to purchasing a good BEC for my scx-10 that was running that Savox servo. Anyhow I though I would install it on my Trailfinder which came with a 6v Bec installed from factory. Well first 20-30 min on trail started acting up again. Strange now it's getting kind of hot on this rig? Anyhow it will work perfect then bamb completely quits. Man this sucks I didn't get much use from it! Not overly impressed with these savox sw-231 water proof units. It's definilty not a BEC issue I wouldn't think. And it seems to steer slow one way then fast the other? Anyhow just sharing this info. Do you guys think it's just toasty or what LOL?

That bluemonkey BEC may be plug n pray but for that much money Id much rather have the Castle 10A. Then again I have crimpers and pins to make the splitters and connectors one needs to hook it up too. I have an extra pair of crimpers you can have cheap Hulkmaxx if you're interested. If your getting into electrics you'll need some crimpers in order to make your own futaba connectors and jr connectors etc. unless you wanna waste money on buying premaid adapters everytime you wanna hook up something new. Just a thought...

If your servo is getting hot then its either not got enough torque for the application which is causing it to overheat, its getting more than 6V causing it to overheat, or theres something wrong with the servo. Thats the only three things I can think of that would casue a servo to get hot. Does it steer slow in one direction after it gets hot or all the time? If its all the time then Id say the problem is with the servo.

Is the BEC on the trailfinder built into the ESC or is it external?

I'm still in the early stages but I purchased the Heyok BEC for a MOG I'm working on and it was pretty convenient that its literally plug and play. Still tuning the electronics and getting the bugs worke out but I do like it.

I have a NIP Castle BEC I can let go if you decide to go that route too. Like you I'm a bit nervous with electrical stuff so the Heyok plug n play was a good selling point for me. PM me if you want the Castle. We could prolly work out a trade or something.

Binding could also cause the servo to heat up.