belt drive or shaft drive?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanditDarvel

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm a nitro guy and looking at getting a on road electric car. So whats better shaft or belt? Brushed or brushless? I'm not gonna be racing but just playing with it. I have some guys at work that run on road cars and wanting to get in the action. ..lol

I prefer brushless over brushed on everything except maybe crawlers. As for belt or shaft...I took this from another website

"Belt driven gives you less friction, better rollin and is more stable. But it is more problematic with dirt. So for the parking lot the shaft drive is definitive preferable. For competition choose belt drive."

"Shaft is definitely more efficient. Belt is smoother and a bit easier to drive, especially with high powered motors. Shaft is pretty buletproof."

"One of the RC mags did a head to head of shaft and belt -- Yokomos, I think. Results were inconclusive and lap times were almost identical."

"It was Kyosho TF5 carbon. They have a belt & shaft version of the same car.
Results werent collated very well, but overall feeling was not that much difference, belt being a bit better in corners (no torque steer)"

If you want to drift I would suggest buying a drift kit instead of buying a normal on-road and drifting it. the exception would be is if you want a regular on-road car and only want to play around with drifting once in a while. If your looking to actually drift, the normal kits arent as upgradable as an actual drift kit.

I had no idea that road cars and drift cars was different other then tires...lol
Thanks for all the great info!

yeah theres a lot of drifting mods and hop ups that can be done if you have a proper drift chassis compared to standard on road chassis. At least thats my understanding so far. I'm fairly new to drifters :)

If you're not racing, go shaft drive. In some classes shaft-driven actually beat the belt-driven versions (VTA class for example).

I have a Vaterra Twin Hammers and I've beat on it after a brushless conversion with ZERO problems. The on-road cars are just as good. My lhs doesn't really carry parts because "they don't break."

If you're not racing, go shaft drive.

I agree with Hamz on this! I never raced them but I had both and the shafty was trouble free 100% of the time. My HPI Sprint2 was belt driven, nice car but trash was always getting in the belts, I broke two of them because of it...Always the rear belt. I ran both cars on brushed and brushless set ups, as expected the brushless set up was easier to maintain, had longer run times and was slightly faster but not as much as I thought it would be. A good 12T brushed motor on 3s is wicked fast but it eats brushes and coms!

Vaterra seem like they are probably good bashers but i wouldnt try and race one.

I'm not racing it other then against my friend in a parking lot...lol
I did see that they have 2 different chassis number but look the same. A V100s and A100c not sure what the difference is.

I know that the V100s is brushless ready if it isn't brushless out of the box.

I did a little research lastnight and the 100c has defuser style front and rear bumpers and the 100s has aluminum drive shaft. Both have 15t motor and run same base chassis. They share same diffs, aarms and such.

shaft is mor good then belts damn belts get brittel with age and brake pain in my ass changing ervrything comes out to get itfix. shaft no worry just go go go belts piss me of

shaft is mor good then belts damn belts get brittel with age and brake pain in my ass changing ervrything comes out to get itfix. shaft no worry just go go go belts piss me of
633806685662365650-JesusFacepalm.jpg

Back