Savage SS Not Idling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precision R/C

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I ran into a problem this weekend in which my Savage SS will run fine when it is at wide open throttle but when it comes back down to idle it dies. There is a metallic 'clunk' just before it dies almost like something is kicking in to stop the motor. Any suggestions what it might be? Thanks for the help.

When you go to start it does the truck immediately want to move?

Not unless I'm holding the throttle open. At start up everything appears fine.

do you have filter on the tank to carb fuel line ? or maybe a small pin hole in the fuel line?
starving for fuel at idle cause of hole or filter. I tried a inline filter and this happened to me. @ idle it would starve for fuel but if I get it moving and fuel is pulling at a faster rate it was fine. I pulled the filter off and goo to go!

HA! It does have a fuel filter! Didn't even cross my mind. I ran it last weekend by turning up the idle higher than it should normally be. I'll pull out the filter, drop the idle to normal, and give it a try. Thanks Birdman!

HA! It does have a fuel filter! Didn't even cross my mind. I ran it last weekend by turning up the idle higher than it should normally be. I'll pull out the filter, drop the idle to normal, and give it a try. Thanks Birdman!
no problem! let us know how it works out for ya.

Well I removed the fuel filter and finally got a chance to run it Sunday. Pretty sure that cured that problem. Unfortunately something in the transmission let go on my second lap and I only had front wheel drive from then on. Not fun on a track that has large elevation changes. Could barely pull itself up to the top of each hill. On my second tank of fuel the steering servo or something related let go and I lost steering so I packed it in for the day. Such is the life or an R/Cer.

1- well great to hear on the idle issue and the stinkin' fuel filter was the problem!!
2- all the other stuff yup you nailed it! Life of a R/C'r lol
I would possibly start at the rear diff if you lost RWD. the tranny was still making forward progress. was the rear drive shaft still spinning?
I am in the process of looking at a high torque servo for the steering. as I just went to Trencher X's and they are MUCH wider and bashing around takes a bit more umph to turn the wheel. will keep the HPI one for back up.

:thumbs-up:

Thanks Birdman. I figure the cold weather is coming on so it is time to strip the Savage down and rebuild anyway so its year is over. Rear tires spin but definitely do not have the wheel speed of the fronts. Can't remember which (because I have two Savages) but I already replaced one servo with a 150oz-in Hitec model and I think it was this truck. I'm hoping it was just the servo arm that stripped which happened to my HPI D8 three weeks ago.

Back