Redcat??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am new to the hobby. I purchased a Redcat volcano s30. I am waiting for it to arrive. Just wondering if anyone runs these. Also would like some info on maintaining the nitro engines. Thanks...

My Redcat came in today! I am super impressed with it so far... I have not started to break it in yet. I am waiting for fuel and temp gun to arrive. In the mean time I am doing plenty of reading on tuning. I will post more as progress happens.

Man you should have got some reviews from us prior to your purchase. Best of luck with it.

The Redcat line of RCs are not very reliable or durable to what I have ever read on them. Not alot of good things have been said about them here due to that reason of poor quality and the very limited amount of upgradable parts and not many online rescources even carry stock replacement parts.

Thank you for the input. I have another truck I plan on working on. It is a t maxx, but it needs some work and I plan on taking my time getting it together. Thanks again for the input!!

No problem, most people get offended when they are given input on Redcat rigs so I am relieved you didnt get hostile with me. I was just about to tie the boxin gloves up and go the rounds haha

Just learning.. I am pretty open minded. I am still trying to raise two kids, so I kinda have to do some things on the cheap...

I wanted to update incase anyone is considering a Redcat rc. I am the kind of person that does not look for a place and a time to bad mouth a product. That being said, I would strongly urge you to not jump into a Redcat product. I did and really wish I had not. I bought the Volcano s30. I used it 4 times. Each time I ran it ended in something breaking. Twice was the transmission. (first time a single speed and second time a two speed). I am not sure if there are different grades of Redcats. They have several models and a lot of people bash the crap out of them.. (youtube is full of these videos). I am a man in my mid to upper thirties that takes care of the items I work hard to get. I will say that the engine always stared easy and ideled and an good! No problems with the electronics. Keep in mind the truck in this state has only had less than two hrs total run time on it. I have nothing bad to say about the Redcat support or any of their dealers, everyone has been really helpful. Good luck. My personal suggestion would be save your money up and buy a proven winner.

It's a double-edged sword to a degree. i.e. How many people would shell out $300+ for a nitro rc vehicle? I myself am fairly new to this hobby (compared to most on this forum at least) and my first nitro rc was an Exceed Forza. I think I paid like $150 for it, and had problem after problem. I knew no one in this hobby so learned what I could but the damn thing kept breaking. Why is it I see these videos where people run their nitro rc's like I WANT to but when I try...it breaks? So I decided to learn what I can and make the best of what I have. I realize it will be a long time (if ever) that I have the expertise of guys on here, some of them have built like over 30 wicked-looking surface vehicles, but I stayed the course and learned what I could with what I had. I found that this hobby is very subjective.

Of course everyone feel's that their make of vehicle/engine is the best. I found that there are RedCat owners who are adamant that RedCat is as good as it gets. I found Traxxas guys the same way. I found that [insert ANY make here] guys the same way. It became confusing so I decided it was best to just try different makes for myself. Didn't want to be the type who became complacent out at a certain level and claim it was the best without trying anything that could possibly be better (and in this hobby better does mean more expensive in most cases--again, depending on how you define 'better').

Regarding the RedCat vids, remember, "bashing" is also a subjective term, as is speed, as is power. While I will never be an rc guru like some of the cats on here, I have been fortunate to learn that the difference in quality/performance is exponential as you move from one 'grade' of make/vehicle/engine to the next. I wish that RedCat/Exceed would simply market themselves for what they are: a way for newbies to get in to the hobby and try it out to see if they have interest in progressing. Instead they seem to fight the reputation they have. Notice they don't compare themselves against anything else. Thus they can claim to be 'bad-ass' all day long, as perhaps in some people's mind that IS as good as it gets. However, that is simply not the case.

So long-winded version of saying that level of rc vehicles does have a price-point to spawn interest and allow folks to try out the hobby...and there are plenty of folks who will tell you how great they are....but have found you need to take virtually everything you are told within this hobby with a grain of salt--as it's ALL subjective. What I might think is fast and durable, the next guy might not. Just do your best to educate yourself with whatever resources you have...and your feedback in this post is one that someone will read one day and either listen to or not. ;-)

Last edited:
their not for beginers

I have owned redcat volcano s30 earthquake 3.3 tmaxx trx,savage 21 wf4.6engine,and finally my losi lst w/lrp z.28
as far as differences the redcat performs excellent with plenty of power, however they are a little on the light side and all the plastic is brittle in the cold temps, so imo they are for more carefull experienced drivers volcano s30 steering servo saver disintegrates almost instantly with ne hard contact and the wheel hub post that connects to the steering arm(to the servo) is very weak(I broke mine the first roll in the grass). I sold my redcats. savage is nice, takes a beatdown breaks down occasionally maintence with owb. and after all those trucks I found bought a losi ramminator for 300.00 put a new hpi clutch and lrp engine and it never breaks down never breaks always fast reliable perfect best truck out of the bunch for me, and I only started nitro 2 years ago and it all started with the volcano s30, so I would say no to the redcat and save for a 1/8 durabe namebrand(for parts accesability)mt, u can buy used roller and build it up. ty

I have found that the best thing my redcat is good for is for my kids to push around the driveway... that makes sure that their hands aren't on my t-maxx!

@HPIguy where are you? I need your sig line in this thread.

Last edited:
I have found that the best thing my redcat is good for is for my kids to push around the driveway... that makes sure that their hands aren't on my t-maxx!

whether you like RedCat or not, it is good to hear you did not give up and are having some good experience in the hobby!

Contemplated purchasing a Redcat myself, but i decided to run with the T-maxx 3.3. Heard it can take a bunch of abuse. :)

You'll need a couple of hop ups to make it nice and stout but I'm sure you will love the tmaxx. Check around in the TMAXX forum I'm sure someone there can tell ya teh really key hopups you'll want. TMAXX is one of the few I havent owned so I dont remember the really important ones right off the top.

MGT brakes is a big help. Diff putty..

Back