Glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's been a few years since I ran my cars in the winter so I can't remember. I normally run os medium plugs or traxxas 3232 but I can't remember if I need to run a os hot plug in the winter? Does it matter or do y'all run a hot plug in cooler temps? About to make a glow plug order is why I'm wondering. It's way cheaper for me to order 10 at a time online vs buying them at the hobby shop.

You should be able to use a medium plug, but a hot plug is the last thing you want in cold weather.

Is there a glow plug 101 lesson anywhere? It would be nice to know which to use at what time... As a newB I have a few questions.... I just have one that I have used since I started...

My very basic understanding (and I'm more of an electric guy than a nitro guy so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but basically you generally want hotter glow plugs with smaller engines. The bigger engines are usually good with medium or sometimes cold plugs since the bigger block helps retain heat better and the smaller blocks like .12, .15, .18 lose heat faster so you need a hot plug. Its also my understanding that outside temps dont really play into which glow plug you use. IDK for sure cuz I dont run RCs when its cold out typically. is that basically right guys or am I misguided?

I heard the same thing somewhere years back. I also recall a cold/medium plug is preferred with a high nitro content (30% or more) as a hot plug could cause detonation issues.

it will take some trial and error,

i have to use a hot plug in my force .28 engine regardless of the temperature using 20-25% nitro fuel, it just doesn't like to run with cold or medium plugs
my tamitiger ( mix and matched engine tamiya thunder tiger engine) likes cold medium plugs on the same fuel
yet my friends force .21 engine likes cold plugs on 20-25% nitro

what I'm trying to say is try a few different temp plugs to find one that will suit your engine,
cold medium and hot is not for the outdoor temperature but is mainly used for the nitro fuel % being used, usually colder for higher % hotter for lower %

like i said it can take some trial and error to find a plug that works best in your engine,

One thing is for sure, It's gonna take more than the right glow plug to make my junk run good!

A "hotter" plug basically advances your timing. It might be fine in the warm weather, but with the richer mixtures required for the cold it may not run quite as well.
Depending on the engine, you probably could use a hot plug in freezing weather, but it might not run as good as something a little cooler.