Styrene?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hope I spelled it correctly, LOL. Anyhow has anyone on here used styrene? I want to make me a removable top for the Bronco body on my scx10. Would it hold up and what thickness would I need?

Comes in many thicknesses, from slightly thicker than printer paper to about 1/4". SUPER tough stuff. You'll need a band saw or scroll saw for fancy curves but enough scoring with an X-acto knife and you can snap it for straight cuts. Here I used it to support the front end to a custom frame in the big 1/6 scale HummVee. A stock part would break before the styrene.
f3.jpg

Here the pieces are both painted tan, but they support the entire suspension, front and rear.
hvf3.jpg

Used it several times. I always ordered from Tower.... Id go with .60. Sturdy but not bulky.

w8.jpg
I'm just not sure, off hand, what the thickness is of the styrene I used, but it's under 1/8".

Last edited:
Wow Rolex, some how I knew you would be the first to respond LOL! Thanks for the info guys. I just want thick enough to hold up to roll overs often lol. I have access to plenty of saws for the fancy cuts thanks to my father in law. Just want to make a half top with a roof cover for the ole bronco. That way I can mount some scale accessories to it, maybe a light bar.

I have built a ton of stuff with it. My entire interior on my tuber is all scratch made from styrene. I also built a fuel cell to put my castle esc in. So a roof top should be quite easy. I agree with Lloyd on the size, the .60 is a decent thickness and I use a bunch of it, but I have also used .80 if I want something very sturdy or will be mounting things to it.

tiremount2800x600_zps4c22726f.jpg

001-3.jpg

interiorparts2.jpg

interiorparts3.jpg

No kidding Hamz I second that LOL! Well I might order some sheets and see how it comes out. So you guys think .60 would be about right?

Well I was going to build an entire back half, but I may just build a top cover for the roll cage as for now. Going to order a couple sheets of the .60 next week and go from there thanks for the info guys.

You can also heat it and score it to cause it to keep a sharp bend with no wrinkles.

I'm not a master fabber by any means but I would use caution if you drive it as a basher. I've used a vast array of different adhesive for joints on styrene and while tenax is probably the best I've used I would be concerned that your seams may open up during pressure/rollovers. I don't exactly build shelf queens as I bash everything I own. If you are a "soft" scale driver than you would be fine making your top out of styrene. If you enjoy bashing I would just hate to have you see your hard work fall apart from a good roll over or bashing session.

Depending on what you're doing, there are ways you can reinforce the joints to help prevent that. If you check out joehoncho on YouTube, he's got a big six wheel drive truck that he built the body out of styrene. He recently built a another truck for his friend.

Once again thanks for all the info guys! I decided to do a simple roof cover to mount a light bar to for now. Will post up some pics when I manage to find time to get to it. I have been trailing about every weekend with my bro's so for now. And I think I am getting ready to finally purchase me a Trail finder 2 rig.

Next I'm picking up my Vaterra Ascender. Going to do some minor styrene work for a brush guard and front bumper for it. It should be interesting.

Nice Hamz can't wait to see some pics of it. I was looking close at the Vaterra but I have 2 scx10's so far so was looking for a leafed rig this time. Plus those trailfinders are so sweet lol!

This was the first of them in the lhs and they've already got a couple of the TF2s already sold there.