Resurrection of the Nitro Crusher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I got for a glow starter..
DSC04804.JPG
DSC04805.JPG

These are the glow plugs. The A5 is the smaller one on the left..
DSC04806.JPG

This is the carb. It seems that the high speed needle is the valve on the line? I have never seen a finger twist design for a needle, it could be the low speed or high speed I do not know. I found the idle screw, and right above it is the larger carb screw (low speed?), I started with it flush to its housing and worked in from there. But I still get no attempt to fire no matter what, so I am thinking it is the glow supplies.. I did have the engine in the truck, but I took it out and mounted it to a board just to try and start, figured if it started I would re-install it to tune it...
DSC04808.JPG
DSC04809.JPG

I've never heard of a glow plug igniter with a single AA battery, that's interesting. I've used one with a D battery and it was decent.
The igniter I use and recommend to my buddies is the Hobbico Hot Shot 2. I've left it in my toolbox for upwards of 6 months and still held a charge good enough to start a car. The A5 plug should work fine with your engine, you should keep a few on hand while working out the tuning details of your truck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbico-Hot...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485ea41c41.

Here's what I would do:
Swap out the fuel tank for a Kyosho Burns fuel tank. It should be a direct swap. Or, any 1/8 scale buggy fuel tank could be used but would most likely require drilling a couple holes in the chassis.. I'd also eliminate the fuel filter (for now) and add a decent air filter such as a Motorsaver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Large-M...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad565827e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-BS-6...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43c81f62de

Create an exhaust system compatible with either the current engine or any future engine upgrades. This adapter will allow you to use your OS RF-B engine with a exhaust system upgrade.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-S-ENGINES...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce8d153de
There's lots of exhaust mufflers on the market to choose from, I like the Jammin JP pipes because you can pick one that best suits the characteristics of your engine.
Bottom end, mid level, top end, etc.
http://www.jamminproducts.com/exhaust.html

Here's a tuning guide for your carb/engine, hope this helps . The HSN is the finger adjustment, the LSN is the large screw head in the side of the carb, the idle gap adjustment screw is the small screw head below the LSN adjustment
http://manuals.hobbico.com/osm/22884020-manual.pdf

Last edited:
Thank you, Nitrotrout!! I have checked out all of the items and am going to work on ordering all of them! Although I am a little bummed to have wasted money on this glow starter, I think I might find a decent battery and see if it is worth anything at all, but if I can't get anything out of it I will order that Hot Shot starter. Do you know how replaceable the rechargeable battery is on that thing? I may not be interested if there is a chance the entire unit will be junk if the battery goes...

My Hot Shot has lasted for years so I've never attempted to open it up and I'm not sure if it's possible. There are other rechargeable igniters with easily replaceable batteries but I've never had good luck with them. I'm sure you've seen these
glo.jpg

Sorry for those OS tuning instructions, they suck, I'll post something a little more specific when I can.

Last edited:
Yup, I have one like it that came with the truck, takes a battery slightly smaller than a C battery but it is NI-MH 1.2v, I did not even try to mess with it, seemed like some battery you could only find online if it even existed....Prob from the 90's too LOL. Yeah I am looking for something that will work well and last long, that one you suggest is sounding like a winner!

I ended up ordering the Hot Shot glow starter and some other parts, waiting their arrival. I tested the little glow starter I got on the Nitro Tracker which has a smaller engine and sure enough it lit up the glow plug, so I am guessing it just does not have the power to light up bigger glow plugs which is bogus seems as though it was listed as a 1/8 scale igniter. But O-well, I did not pay much for it. Hopefully I will have this baby out for a test run by this weekend. I payed expedited shipping on the glow starter so it should be here asap!

So after a 2 week wait for that glow igniter to make it I got it today! Paid expedited shipping but it got lost in the forwarding system and was delayed another week. So it is on the charge now, hopefully I will have it out for a test run today or tomorrow...

It is alive everyone! How is best to share footage?? Do I really have to upload it to utube?

It lives, it breathes! Congrats buddy :thumbs-down:
Although I haven't tried it myself, I'm pretty sure you can post videos through photobucket.

You can through photobucket as long as you don't use copyrighted music for the soundtrack.

Thanks for the advice. I might go with photobucket, I am not sure. I might try and see if dropbox will work for me, I think they have embed codes with their vids...
I had it out a couple times now, it does not have much at all for top end but its acceleration is off the charts. I have never seen anything like it, it will burn all 4 of those massive tires on pavement when taking off, it does not even pop wheelies, the tires just instantly spin on any surface.

I am working on trying to get a vid up. I had troubles with my make shift exhaust system so I ordered some different mufflers and parts, should be in within a week or so. Once I get it out with the new exhaust I will try and make a really good video. I had considered posting to Youtube seems so no one has ever posted a decent video of the crusher.....

Ok, as you have requested I have got to share some vids. First though, there are two vids, the first one was my first test run, and it needed a lot of adjusting. It had no brakes and was having throttle / engine adjustment issues and my make shift exhaust melted LOL. Both videos show the extent of my play time. I had it out today (second video) checking my brake and throttle adjustments, making adjustments to the engine... I was low on fuel, so it ran lean for a min. and died.

I would have it out for a while, but I only have so much fuel and am waiting on better parts. So I decided to tear down the engine and seal it while I wait on the exhaust parts I ordered. I have to make a few other small adjustments too. I did find an exhaust adapter too, little elbow piece that worked well with this exhaust and should for the others I ordered too..

The vids don't do it justice, the camera totally sucks!! So once my parts come in and I have sealed the engine I will get some help making a decent vid! I would like to make something nice that is Youtube worthy....

Well....Enjoy. LOL
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hcm026iuj6cpvtl/AADEq6IywZaK4P-fWLXWUpNha?dl=0

Ps. if watching it in that silly dropbox sucks it might be easier to download them and watch...

I could not help myself but take it out one more time before I tear down the engine, and I got it all adjusted right so it was not running lean anymore. This thing is intense, it ovals the tires at take off..

I really could not imagine something like a .28 in it....I will be working on that concept as well : D

Last edited:
Very cool. Looks like it runs nice.
if the engine is running so well then why replace the motor?

You got it running and it looks so much better than what you started with. Those are major milestones, well done buddy.
I read some old threads about this truck, and the biggest complaint was the under powered .21 engine. I think if you upgraded to a .28 down the road your truck could handle it no problem. But in the meantime, enjoy the fruits of your labor. :thumbs-up:

Thanks Nitrotrout! It is moving even further forward. I should have the exhaust lot in within a couple days, one should work pretty good for the .21. I would like to get a .28 eventually. I also ordered new shocks all around that were designated for the Savage XX, I think they will work out nicely. I also ordered the proper air filter and high torque servos! All awaiting shipping or in process.

I have also been looking at paints, I am thinking about painting a lot of the components to make it look a little cleaner. Maybe give it some color.. like blue! :cool:

So I am trying to wrap my head around how these multi-speed set ups work by Kyosho. I don't get it. See image, how exactly does this "shift" gears or change speeds?? I am trying to see if I can fit a set up like this, either 2-3 speed with dual engines but I don't get how this works.. I found a clip of someone who did but they widened their chassis to fit tanks on the sides, but I have a better idea / arrangement.. : D

The current status is the truck is in preps for the ROTM!! Stripped down to the chassis again. I have exhaust parts coming in, suspension parts, servos, bearings, and am shopping for engines and gears. I am also working on getting all of the paint stuff together so I can do some painting. I also made some mods already where I got rid of the plate that holds the steering servo and receiver and am drilling the chassis to remount those components, I also replaced the usual four AA battery pack for a small 7.4v Li-po rechargeable battery pack, and am currently bidding on better 2.4ghz radio systems, and have been searching for the right lid to make this puppy have a bang!

gears2.jpeg

The Kyosho Tracker has been getting some attention too, as I have figured out how to fit a .21 on the little thing LOL... Found decent tires and have been swapping old parts from the crusher into the tracker as I order parts for the crusher.

Last edited: