traxxas Jato Engine suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarcet85

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm gonna be changing the mill in my jato. Its got the dynamite .19 in it which I do like but I've done a lot of mods and shes a tank. I've been looking at the os .21 max or the picco max .26, or .21. All input greatly appreciated I'm leaning torwards the picco max .26 but I want to make sure it will drop right in no mods. I know the os will just not sure on the picco .26 thanks guys

Its a little sketchy because I'm not sure exactly what engines you're referring to. When you say OS .21 MAX are you referring to the OS .21TM for TMAXXs? I'm not aware of any model actually called a .21 MAX from OS. As for the Piccos the do have a .26 MAX but theres 2 different ones, the regular one and the JL Reddot series are both .26 MAXs. If you are talking about the OS .21TM then comparing it to either of the .26 MAXs or the .21 MAX from Picco Id probably go with the Picco .21MAX. It has slightly higher RPM max and horsepower rating than either of the two .26 MAXs. The HP rating doesn't really transfer over when comapring to another manufacturer as each manufacturer seems to measure HP in a different way but again the Picco .21 has slightly higher RPM max and I personally prefer Piccos over OS engines. Either company makes good stuff though. youd probably be happy with any of those.

yes I'm talking about the os .21tm and the picco .26max there is also an orion wasp .21 made to drop right in. So out of the three engines I've listed id like to know if any one has any experience with any of them and which one they would recommend. My jato is pretty heavy so I've been leaning towards the picco max 26.

I've owned a couple of OS. 21TMs and I've owned other OS engines and I've owned a couple different .21 and .28s from Picco. Personally I've never owned an orion engine So I can't really comment on that one other than from what I've read on the internet. I do not believe (and someone feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong) that orion is quite on the same level quality-wise as OS or Picco. Hopefully some others will chime in here and give an opinion also but my original recommendation still stand for me. :)

I was on the hunt for a motor during the week ,found a cheap one but I'm not sure if is gonna be crap or what. its called a 'go' .20 and is supposed to be a direct fit for $80 looks ok but I would do a bit more research before dropping the coin.
obviously the natural answer here is choose an os ,have you thought about an 18tz? I know they are a bump only but I have heard there is a pull version ,can anyone confirm??

yea I'm looking to go .21 or bigger its either the picco red dot .26max or the os 21tm both will work just not sure which one I want to go with. My jato is pretty heavy thanks for the input guys

What about the traxxas 3.3? Thats what is in my Jato and it has more power then I will ever use

I agree. I have the 3.3 on my jato and it's plenty. I can't keep tires on it or the front end down even through 2nd gear. I even added some weights to the front of mine and it still walks 2nd gear wheelies. I have a few big block engines but I haven't even considered putting them on my jato. Now my revo and t maxx I wouldn't run anything but a big block now that I have converted them over. It would be interesting to see a jato with a .26 or bigger motor though. Kinda like a 1/10 scale drift car with a six cell. Uncontrollable. lol.

Like I said my jato is pretty heavy and the 3.3 was great for the stock set up but I need more power thanks again for your input gonna go with the picco .26max . I currently am running the dynamite .19t with has great top end but not much down low but I do like it more then the 3.3. Not a big fan of the 3.3.

I thin that the .26 is too much engine for the Jato. It's like putting V-12 in a Volkswagen Beetle. A .21 like the OS .21TM would be a better choice. It revs a bit higher and it's a better match as it doesn't have quite as much torque as the Picco. The Picco .26 Maxx will cause my Revo 3.3 to wheelie through 2nd even with a center diff.

from the searching I've been doing I would either go the 21tm or an 18tz the only issue with the tz is I is bump only unless you convert it but by the time you do that you may as well buy a 21tm.

Have you built your transmission to handle the power?
Exactly! Tranny and rear end wont handle the power. I'm not sure the 12mm hubs will either. I'm sure it would be cool but I'm not interested in dropping another $500 in my jato to build it for a big block. Its fast enough and all I need. Just my opnion.

my tranny is built to handle the power with all hardended steel gears and 17mm hex conversions its ready for the engine now. and Bamafan maybe its not your jato that can't handle the power. Thanks for your replies guys.

Back