Is repairing the pull starter worth the aggrivation of trying?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am trying to repair the pull starter. It is new but the string was not tight so I tried wrapping it a bit tighter and it all went down hill from there. I have replaced a million of these on small engines, but have over an hour invested in this one and no progress. Are there any videos?? I searched youtube and nuthin... I hate wasting money, but it's about to get trashed...

I prefer the pull start myself. If it is the spring that you are having problems with then the answer is simple. What you do is start from the outside and wind it inward. Once you have the spring in the housing you pull a loop of cord up and set the center into place catching the end of the spring. Wind it until the spring is taught. Then pull out the loop and SLOWLY alow the cord to retract into the started assembly. Sounds a lot harder than it is. Hope this helps, Shaun

Thanks for the reply! I did get it back together. about 8 pulls and I think the spring came unwound.. I think the loop that holds it into the housing is not bent well enough.. My wife and I are shipping our Kiddos to granmas in the morning and spending a few days in the city... maybe I can talk her into a trip to the hobby shop..... maybe...lol

Just tell her that you will take her to her favorite restaurant for a " Five minute stop at the shop". Never works for me but its worth a try, LOL. Shaun

We were planning on eating at her fave rest anyway, but maybe some blackmail may be in order...lol I was doing some searching, I found a "drill start kit" for the traxxass engines. it was only a couple bucks more than the pull start... Though I'm not sure how durable it is or will be. I ordered it ,so I will probably run it and do a review in a couple months. Any experience with these?

I do not have any experience with a drill starter. I am planning on using one on a custom pulling truck so I am very interested in how well it works.

After you've fixed one, you'll want to fix them whenever possible.

Back