Nitro question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetlou069

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi i wanted to no does it really matter what kind of gas i use for my nitro car ? Like b4 i hade 20% nitromethane and i couldn't find any 20% arround were i lived they only hade 25% but i havnt tryed it yet !! Will it b ok or will it hurt my engine ?? Does it matter if the gas changes or does it really have to b the same gas all the time ? Thank you guys very much

Doesn't matter. You may have to tweek the hsn (high speed needle) a little which you have to pretty much anyway. I switch from 30 to 33 all the time. Never had a issue.

Think about gas in your car... Regular, Mid-grade, and Premium! : D

Here is a question along the same lines. I use the same brand of fuel. It is delivered to the house for about 4 bucks more than hobby shop price.. The company makes it real easy to get the right stuff. A for air B for boats and C for cars. What is the major difference between them. I am assuming it is oil content. If so is there any compadability between them? Or can you add some oil to them for your needs. I am a ground pounder only guy, at least for now... Just a question..

Boat engines and flying engines are different to car engines so need different fuels, for example boat engines tend to prefer 60% ish nitromethane, whereas cars need 16-30% nitro. There will also be a different oil percentage in the different fuels so it is best to stick to the fuel that is designed for that specific use :)

So what makes the engines different?? Sorry if I ask too many questions...

As far as I'm aware, boat engines have lower max rpms, but they are designed to run at max rpms for much longer periods of time, so they are under a lot more stress and will get hotter as a result, so extra lubrication is required, whereas car engines have higher max rpms but are designed to be slowed and idled between runs and will therefore not have as high cooling and lubrication demands.

I don't know anything about flying, so I can't give you any info about that, but if I was you, I would stick to the right type of fuel as otherwise engines can get ruined and it can be very costly :)

Back