my next nitro car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcorb

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Thinking about purchasing a new nitro car at the moment i have a 1/10 vrx sprint buggy i would like some opinions on
A. Should i buy a whole car or build one myself (i do like to tinker but i know ill have plenty of tinkering regardless )
B. What scale should i go for?

I like off road but unsure if 1/10 is the right size or if its just the current car i have is not that great i dunno but i do like the buggies they can be quick and can handle a good variety of environments looking forward to everyone's thoughts

If you like to tinker, you'd probably enjoy building a kit or a ARTR (almost ready to run).
Since you already have a 1/10 scale look into getting an 1/8 scale.
I've found my 1/8 scale cars to be a little more durable than my 1/10 scale cars.
If you stick with the popular brands like Ofna, Traxxas, HPI, Kyosho, Team Losi, Team Associated, Mugen, etc.
you'll have much easier time with ordering parts, finding tuning specs, and receiving customer support

Thinking about purchasing a new nitro car at the moment i have a 1/10 vrx sprint buggy i would like some opinions on
A. Should i buy a whole car or build one myself (i do like to tinker but i know ill have plenty of tinkering regardless )
B. What scale should i go for?

I like off road but unsure if 1/10 is the right size or if its just the current car i have is not that great i dunno but i do like the buggies they can be quick and can handle a good variety of environments looking forward to everyone's thoughts

Before deciding anything, where do you plan on running this RC? How do you plan on bashing with it, jumps, general off road, or on tracks? Most of the major brands offer both RTR and Kit versions of the same RC. The difference between both of these is that the Kit version usually comes with more hop-ups than the RTR. If you plan on running your new RC on almost any surface I would recommend 1/8th scale, as they can handle long grass, and deep sand quite a bit better than the 1/10th scales.

Id say a bit of both the local track is designed for 1/8 but i also have alot of parks around me so will be doing plenty of bashing as well ill start looking at 1/8 scale is it cheaper to build your own and what would i be looking at spending on a good kit? Looking for something with plenty of go concidering getting into a couple of meets got most of the tools including thread locker and ultra copper all my hex driver plus flat head and Philips which is a given lol plus a half decent budget

Since you do plan on driving on a track I recommend going to your local track and seeing what most other people are driving. The reason for this is simple, if other people have the same RC you can ask for help on setup and any information you may need. That said If you do plan on going to your local track I would stay away from Duratrax, Traxxas, Thunder Tiger, HSP, AARMA and OFNA. Team LOSI is among the best, Kyosho is good as well, but There aren't too many of them where I live. You will spend more money on a kit, than you will on a RTR up front, but in the long run it pays off because you won't have to do as many hop ups to make it track worthy. Also check your LHS and see what brands they carry parts for, as that is a deciding factor as well.

If I were in your shoes I would just got for LOSI, as long as there are others that run them locally, and they have their parts in your LHS.

All the above is if you are considering a buggy or a truggy. When it comes to short course trucks, I don't have any experience because I've never owned one myself.

It all depends on budget. You can get an awesome buggy for $1500 but not many people have that $$$ or need that type of quality. I can afford $300 - $500 so I got a Hyper SS for around $430 and love it. Aussie dollars. I defiantly prefer buggies though but everyone has there opinion on what's best.

Budget is anywhere between $400-$800 i think i looked at the losi 8ight 3.0 looks awesome and was costing $600-$700 but id sounded like that was without engine and a lot of other parts? Does that seem right ? I dont know

So you gotta buy them separately then why would they say ready to run? Its a funny way to sell a car I would have thought

Yes i saw that but the nitro kit doesn't come with an engine or is that normal for kits?

Yes it is normal. I have never had a kit come with an engine. They assume that you will pick one that will suit your driving style and budget.

Ah that makes sense thanks so if I'm looking at a $700 budget id need to spend roughly $400 - $500 on a kit depending on the engine i want

The HPI Baja SS Kit comes with an engine ;) but @hamz9561 is right, most RC kits don't include engines or electronics. It's thought that if you're building a kit you want to use all your own gear (electronics, engines, etc).

Oh ok that kinda makes sense the only flaw i guess is that if someone such as my self is up sizing then i have to go and buy servos engine ect... well got alot to think about might have to go down to the local hobby shop and see what they got and have a chat to him

HPI Trophy 3.5- It is 1/8th scale and you can always upgrade after!

ask around about your LHS before you go. some of them just like to make a sale, rather than give sound advice.