Transmission problems.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi y'all, I just joined yesterday!:) I just got a T-maxx 2.5 & a 3.3 + all the tools and spare parts I'll ever need for $500! I also got 2 unpainted body's a ford F250 & a ford hotrod body!:) I'll send some pics when I've got them painted up. But now down to the problem my brother & I have been tuning them up and
It seems to be going great but I've now noticed that the spur gear spins when the engine is idling so I just kinda was checking things over & when I hold the truck off the ground and when I spin the spur gear the wheels don't move? BTW this is the 2.5 & already thru 2 plastic spur gears(I am not a crazy driver very careful of my trucks).

Any help would be great!! as well as suggestions for other things on these trucks. Thanks!!

if it has a 2.5 or 'black' tranny the spur will spin at idle ,does it has reverse? you can download an exploded view from the traxxas site .
if it hasn't been used for some time the forward clutch hub can get stuck and behave like its in neutral

if it has a 2.5 or 'black' tranny the spur will spin at idle ,does it has reverse? you can download an exploded view from the traxxas site .
if it hasn't been used for some time the forward clutch hub can get stuck and behave like its in neutral
yes it has reverse
. nothing seems to be stuck??

yes it has reverse
. nothing seems to be stuck??[/Q
should the wheels turn when I turn the spur gear when the engine is not on??

Last edited:
yes it has reverse
. nothing seems to be stuck??
would a steel Spur gear work in the 2.5. if so wht would you recommend or does anybody have one they don't want any more??

I think a FOC (forward only conversion) would be a lot more beneficial to you than a steel spur gear. You'll have to upgrade to a hardened steel clutch bell with a steel spur gear. Unless you have a big block putting out a bunch of hp and torque, the steel spur gear is overkill. Its heavy and creates adding rotational mass. If your eating up plastic spurs most likely the gear mesh is not quite right.
The FOC kit will reduce weight and eliminate unnecessary moving parts in your tranny. No jerking at idle, better overall performance.

With the black trany that still has revrse you cannot spin the spur fast enough by hand to make the fwd/revrse pawls swing out and catch the shift drum, you would need an air compressor and a blow nozzle to get going fast enough.

If you decide you don't want the revrse, get a FOC for it for like $12.
If you decide you like the reverse you do can do a "no buck mod" to it for a couple of dollars.
http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?268460-quot-no-buck-quot-constant-engagement-tranny-modification!&highlight=no buck constant

Last edited:
agreed ,save the hassle get a forward only/reverse lockout and rock on.
as said earlier if you are shelling out spurs you are either not meshing properly your engine is loose or you have a bent chassis

agreed ,save the hassle get a forward only/reverse lockout and rock on.
as said earlier if you are shelling out spurs you are either not meshing properly your engine is loose or you have a bent chassis
Thanks a lot guys I got the gear mesh correct, took apart the tranny, greased the gears (which were in great shape) took apart both diffs &greased them up, and tried running it today & its running great!!!!! :)
Thanks for all the suggestions:)
any others for these particular trucks would be great!!
and I replaced the bearings in the clutch bell.

Thanks a lot guys I got the gear mesh correct, took apart the tranny, greased the gears (which were in great shape) took apart both diffs &greased them up, and tried running it today & its running great!!!!! :)
Thanks for all the suggestions:)
any others for these particular trucks would be great!!
and I replaced the bearings in the clutch bell.
would you guys like to see the ford 250 Raptor body I just finished?

Last edited:
How much grease did you use on the trany gears, the plastic gears really should not be greased at all.
If it was a very small amount of grease you should be OK, but if you were liberal with the grease then you need to pull the trany out and clean out the grease.

Post up the lid pics! :thumbs-up::)

How much grease did you use on the trany gears, the plastic gears really should not be greased at all.
If it was a very small amount of grease you should be OK, but if you were liberal with the grease then you need to pull the trany out and clean out the grease.

I did not use grease.:) I used a light silicone/Teflon oil sparingly.

That should be fine, I only asked as I have seen some put a ton of bearing grease on the trany gears.

Don't forget the lid pic's! :)

When I had my tmaxx's I used a one speed forward only transmission and it never gave me any issue. I loved it, I will admit it took out the top end of second gear but I never did much for road riding or straight stretches anyway. But I never once had any problems with it, always very reliable.

Could anyone lead my in the right direction for the foc kit. I'm having trouble finding it

Nevermind I found one

New question though. If I have a black tranny what one do I need. Seems that there are a couple different ones on eBay but they don't specify what one they are for.

Last edited:
You need this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-T-M...293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a499216cd

Since you have to pull the tranny pulled apart anyhow, you should also consider this upgrade:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS...367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a3578edf
and to upgrade your slipper upgrade, use one of these to replace the three friction pads included in the kit*
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-496...830?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b05254256

*you'll need to ream three of the holes on the brake disk slightly to make it fit the slipper pins :D

Any oil at all on the Trans gears will cause you problems!

Welcome to the site man!..have fun bud..
Regular maintenance and always use aro in the engine will get you a long way,keep the filter clean and tight to the carb

Not sure why you guys have issues when lubing the trans. I always use White Lythium grease myrigs shift awesome and never hardly need any adjustments what so ever. As long as you don't go over board on grease LOL!

Hulk you use rrp Trans gears man,I'm referring to the stock gearset,....on one hand the wrong lube deteriorates the plastic and the other hand even the proper lube on the plastic gears causes too much lubrication! Plastic gears are self lubricating,..there once was a time in my life where I couldn't fathom the thought that some oil or grease on plastic gears was bad but I've proven it to myself ....build 2 t-maxx Trans grease up the gears in one and leave the other dry,use em in the same rig/same setup and I promise you guys that the lubed geared Trans is gunna crap out long before the dry one