Resurrection of the Nitro Crusher

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hit my first hitch. I cannot find the adapter for the exhaust anywhere. Found a manual and tried to search up the part number and no luck. Here it is in the manual..

Selection_011.png

The baffle I could make, but the difference in the hose is a lot. The end that goes on the exhaust is 1 1/2" diameter, and the end for the engine is 5/8" diameter. Here is an actual image...

DSC04647.JPG

Any suggestions?
I am going to stop by the hardware store and see what they have. I might have something to work with, I was thinking of putting a smaller hose into a larger hose to play as an adapter for the engine hook up. My other ideas require heat and stretching....Maybe I should just find a different exhaust...

Last edited:
Got the engine all freed up and just about all cleaned up! Working on the carbs now. The engine seems to be in super condition, the piston still fits tight and it has mad compression! Also got some of the A-arms cleaned up. There is a lot to this truck, it is taking me longer to deal with parts than any other machine I have ever used.

DSC04651.JPG

So I was up to about midnight going to town last night...Have everything just about cleaned up and back together. Just have to finish up the rear end components and then wrap up some odds and ends....I am aiming to have a run with this beast within a week or so....

DSC04655.JPG
DSC04656.JPG
DSC04657.JPG

Looks like its coming together nicely. That's one of the strangest exhaust systems I've seen, :D If you're unable to locate that rubber exhaust piece, this may be a better option. You might be able to find a 90 degree rubber hose from an auto parts or hardware store, then connect it to any tuned pipe you choose.
or there's this option:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-S-ENGINES...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce8d153de
http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-S-ENGINES...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce8fb9d87
or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OS-Engine-O...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5646c27a53

Last edited:
If I can't figure out the hose by poking around then thats exactly what I'll do is swap out all of the exhaust for something else...

I got busy again today and got it all cleaned up, buffed up, oiled up, greased up, adjusted, etc... Just wrapping up odds and ends now, I noticed it was missing a couple C-clamps when I took it a part so I have to get some of those, and some shrink wrap, just little things... May I say..BRAAAP

DSC04663.JPG

DSC04671.JPG

DSC04672.JPG

DSC04673.JPG

DSC04674.JPG

DSC04676.JPG

DSC04678.JPG

DSC04679.JPG

Tools I used:
DSC04677.JPG

I know it is close, but I am wrapping this project up for the night...Just a couple more days! I plan to take it somewhere good for video shoots e.g. fairgrounds/sand pit.....

I managed to make a tug-of-war hitch for the truck like depicted in the manual...

Selection_012.png

I took an old bicycle cable and some electrical clamp plugs, you can see one of the plugs bent at the center, I cut it in half leaving just the square piece with two holes and fed my loop through there, crimped it, and dun. Very solid, worked well....

DSC04681.JPG

DSC04684.JPG

Thing was a mess, I wore out some of my Dremel bits just trying to get it clean...

I have been thinking, and I am wondering if the transmission and engine system from the Kruiser by Kyosho would fit into this rig. It is a 3-speed transmission with much the same design. I also managed to figure out how I could relocate the gas tank so I could fit dual motors. If I can, I think I might work towards fitting dual engines with a direct drive to the main gear using the system from the Kruiser. I bet it would rip! 2 engines, 3 speeds, direct drive, BRAAP. Also been looking at and pricing out piggy back shocks for it. Looks like it is going to run a good 70$ for them....

I guess twin engines were pretty common in these trucks. Theres plenty of pics online showing twin engine rigs, and I think I even saw a chassis template somewheres .
As for piggybacks, I can't speak for all piggybacks but the Integy piggybacks I had were garbage. Don't even give them a second look. Mine are currently on a shelf queen, that's all they're good for.

If you have some good suggestions for strong shocks toss them out there! They do not have to be piggy back, I just want something strong. These shocks do need replacing, a couple I found to leak a little and they do not absorb "shock" very much... I also noticed the shafts and A-arms will take a couple eights of an inch if I can find shocks a hair longer...

And I did see the models with twin engines, they have some with the dual sets of rear wheels..I do not want to go that big LOL, I found a different way to locate the gas tank at the front! The hood of the body will actually hide it! I have some things I am working on selling on Ebay and once they go through I am ordering parts!

Your shocks appear to be pretty long, like HPI Savage shocks. I'd check with those guys and see what they're using for shock upgrades. I would imagine a decent set of rear 1/8 buggy or truggy shocks would fit the bill. I used Losi 8ight rear shocks on my MT project and I was able to eliminate 4 of the shocks, They're pretty stout. Large bore though, you'd need some bigger shock mount spacers on your shock towers.

I got it all set up for a test run. Getting ready to go out now, will post videos if it runs!! I managed to make a temp adapter for the exhaust using a plastic tube from an old gas can. It flared just enough to hook a hose to each end!! It will do for a nice test run! Also noticed the remote was lacking a battery pack (I intended to get a new remote anyway), but for now I managed to solder wires from inside and hook up a lipo battery pack from one of my helicopters, works fine!!

Did not go well, something is wrong with either the glow plug or igniter, maybe both, will work on getting more supplies asap.

Last edited:
For those who are looking to buy a USA-1 Crusher, one just listed on Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYOSHO-USA-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5411378fe2

Wants 128$, 9 bids, 4d 21h left...
His description..
This truck was bought in a lot. I am selling as a roller due to the fact of starting difficulty.
Has a GS-21 engine. Hard to start. Probably low compression.(New Carb did not help)
All Electrics work. I have driven the truck, runs fine when it starts..
Roller that's complete , probably could use a rebuild on engine. No batteries or Glow Plug Heater.
No return due to nature of the sport. Sold as Is. Please read and look carefully

Another one listed.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Vint...pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item4add1b8c98

starting bid 299$

Man it's tempting but I gotta pass. I have too many RC's as it is (according to my wife). I'm gonna ignore post #35 and just keep on keepin on :rolleyes:

A little update, I have been playing the 'hurry up and wait' game with shipping. I ordered a new glow starter which might be in today, and I am also waiting on a new muffler. I also have been gathering specific parts I want to order regarding new engines. I have been trying to find something like a .28 that will fit at least a 2-speed clutch bell, as I have found the 2-3 speed spur gear set ups that should work on this rig. I have also found a local track I am going to 'try' to get to before this season is out to see how well it does...

So I got myself the glow starter, and a brand new A5 glow plug, fuel, and have not been able to get it running. I was out for about an hour today trying to get it started. Glow plug and starter seem to be working fine, and there is fuel getting to the system as it comes out the exhaust. So I tried experimenting with the fuel valve to see if it was flooding out but it does not seem to make a difference. I tried plugging the exhaust to prime and nothing, so I tried pumping the throttle a little and still nothing! Anyone have any suggestions? I am going to get into the carb today and see if something is rich....

That fuel tank looks suspect to me, I bet that's part if not all of your starting issue. It could also be a blockage in the carb. Not an uncommon problem with older engines that have been sitting for long periods of time. Test the glow plug in the glow igniter while it's out of the engine. It should have a bright orange glow. Also try starting your engine with an alternate fuel tank from another car, one that you know is sealed and functional.
How did your exhaust system work out? I have a suggestion if you're still working it out.:thumbs-up:

The exhaust worked out 'ok', but it took several splices and pieces to make it work. I found other mufflers and have intended to just buy something new, but if you have suggestions I will put them to use! If I can make this one work out nice and it works good I may use it!

As far as the starting issue, I am at a loss. I tried again for a while today. It is getting fuel for sure. The tank I cleaned and checked, it seems ok. I think it may be because of the glow system. The new plug I got (A5) does not work at all, it does not smoke or glow. The one that was in the truck does smoke a little, but it does not glow visibly. The starter I got takes a AA battery, I hope it has the power? It was listed as a 1/8 scale nitro starter.

I could not find anything on the carbs factory settings. I found one manual that had adjustment instructions but would not declare the factory setting. I found one forum that had some hints, but nothing super accurate. My idle seems gapped right, I put the screws to where they should be, I am getting fuel, but no start.

Sadly, I do not have much for nitro stuff to experiment with. I looked up the new glow plug I got and they have it listed for air planes, so I am wondering if it was the wrong one for this engine, which is actually what the guy at the hobby store suggested for a glow plug. So right now I am leaning near the glow plug or starter, because it is getting fuel but it is not attempting to fire at all, and I have played with the carb adjustments with no success.

Any suggestions? Maybe my starter needs a better battery vs a basic AA? Or the glow plugs are junk? Is the A5 the right plug? I am looking at new engines now, even if I get this running I will probably replace it because the starting method sucks. I already wore out the rubber starter thing trying to get it going...Really need a roto start or pull start. I am engine shopping now, and glow plug shopping, open to suggestions, I have been looking for something a little bit bigger than the .21, maybe up to a .28, but I am shopping on Ebay, trying to keep it under 100$.

I do intend to run this engine if I can, so let me know if anyone has suggestions. I was thinking about picking up a different glow plug and a better battery for the glow starter, maybe it will help...

Last edited: