Go,Go Nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swervin

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
When shopping for a FAST nitro engine, what should i be looking for? Horsepower or Rpm's ?

Well, the answer would be, "Yes".
Depends on what you want it in, what the ride weighs, wheel size and gear ratio.

Well i just finished up my "Project Dominator 2014" ...... I put A Lrp .28 in it & really got to run it today. ... I have only ran one quart of 20% side winder through it for the break in process. ..Today i used 25% Trinity Monster Horsepower....... I used this brand in 2004 with my Hyper 21(8port) .....Truth be told in my honest opinion my Hyper 21 motor use to scare me with crazy SPEED !!!!! I'm getting ok speed with my Lrp. 28........My Lrp .28 specs are 3.89 horsepower with 33,500 Rpm's...... My Hyper 21(8port) specs are 2.5 Horsepower with 38,000 Rpm's. .... These motors are powering a OFNA DOMINATOR! !!! OH YEA I WENT FROM A 12T TO A 14T CLUTCH BELL..... Helps me understand please. ....

Higher RPM will equal higher top end but having more horsepower means you have more power in order to run a lower gear ratio. Put a 17t or 18T clutchbell in it and if thats not enough drop your spur size down as low as you can get it. If that still isnt enough try putting some taller tires on it. All of those things will get you more top end speed.

What's a good pipe. For the Lrp. 28 ? A couple of people said try a Jp2 should i try this pipe?

Robin's (ERCM) pipes are the best by all recommendations.

Honestly if your not running an ERCM pipe then just run stock until you can afford one...anything else is a waste of money

Honestly if your not running an ERCM pipe then just run stock until you can afford one...anything else is a waste of money
one thing to think about is ease of getting parts. an engine with no parts doesn't go fast.

one thing to think about is ease of getting parts. an engine with no parts doesn't go fast.
on gears and power. in full size drag racing the dragsters with lots of power run taller gears. than door slammers. the current day top fuel dragsters run a gear about 3.00 to 3.3. to 1. an normal stock car runs from 3.55 to 4.56 to 1 gears. that just very general, other factors enter in as well. the only thing is the nitro engines we run have a power to cubic inch of 10 hp:1 inch. the full size stock engine will never hold up to that. the top fuel engines are whole different world. with 500 ci they make 10,000 horses. blow up MORE than stay together. i have kept track this summer of the top fuel cars. the average is the two fuel class. top fuel. funny car. 16 car each class. first round 8 cars go home each class and so on. a total of 30 passes. average 70-80 % of the passes have one or more car that do NOT finish to the finish line under power. that is NOT a race.

Ok how about this, has anybody tried a CVEC pipe with a LRP.28 ? Can i do this ? It's dirt cheap..... CVEC Z300 with Calabaration tube & connect it with my stock manifold?

Last edited:
I used to run a cvec on my old .26. Great pipe once you find the sweet spot. I'm not sure how it will act on a .28. Let us know

I will do if i do...

I will do if i do...

I will do if i do...

Last edited:
This is what happend on my first attempt on using aluminum clutch shoes... The shoes were blue too.... Guess heat was a issue hear.... This happened after one quart during the break in process. ....
20140903_122308.jpg
20140902_181047.jpg
This is the current setup as of last night. ...I took Greywolf74 advice & got a 18 t clutch bell....Has anyone tried the Dynamite Maxx life clutch shoes? It seems like the truck woke up today..... I ONLY got to make 2 passes OMG !!!!!! In case you didn't hear me OMG!!! Long live the queen.......I really didn't get a chance to get my swerve on hehehe.... Well i still have this rebuilt 2 speed sitting hear. ... The issue i'm having is the clutch bell set up for it is going to hit me for about $50 !!!! So with that being said it's either 15/19 or 17/21 ....What do you guys think ???

Attachments

• 20141006_205506.jpg
    20141006_205506.jpg
    812.5 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Where those pics of the first time you had a problem or are you having the same problem again?

I've used Dynamite Maxx life clutch shoes on my LST2 before. They were fine. In fact I may still be running them on my XXL but I can't remember for sure.

With a .28 in a buggy Id go for the biggest pinion and smallest spurs I could get my hands on. You have plenty of HP to push it.

It looks the clutch was slipping too much. You might want to change the springs so that the shoes engage more firmly.

I was having trouble with my 2 speed transmission...... I remember changing to a 12/16 T clutch bell (10 years ago) ... I think i turned the wrong screw trying to adjust the shift point,i remember a funny sound coming from the truck (a winding like sound) ...... I thought it might have been a rock caught in the gears..... Well i sat her on her thrown a there she sat for 10 years looking over her subjects...... Well after being disrespected (smack talking) by a Red Cat owner & a Traxx head , it was time to show them what Domination (Ofna Dominator) is all about !!!!! Well as i started project "Dominator 2014" i noticed that one of the gears was rubbing up against the radio tray. ..... The directions on the 2 speed state that i would have to remove a radio tray post & the lip if i was going to use the 56/60 gear combination.... I was using 48/52 plastic (stock gears) one's.... Now hear's the kicker i made the alliteration & got steel gears 56/60 come to find out with the steel gears i had MORE room...... Well for some reason the truck would roll 4 feet then lock up.....After a back forward back pushing combination it would roll again....... When the truck did that for the 3rd time, i decided to go back to the single speed. .... All of this took place during the break in process of the motor..... I ran one tank tuning the motor getting a feel for the LRP.28 (coming from the "Hyper .21 8 port).... I switched to my old fateful " Trinity Monster Horse Power 25%.......I never got to make one whole pass..... I drove her down the street & she stopped......When i took her apart this was what i was looking at....

I was using 1.0 springs

What's the difference between a off road nitro eagine & a on road engine nitro ?

Last edited: