clutch bell differences from 22 to 17 tooth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minmax89

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Good ol' Chickenman advized me to get a 17/36 clutch/spur set up. So I did.

I have a standard 22t clutch bell on my Picco (originally from my T-Maxx). I got the 17t hardened steel clutch bell from traxxas. They have a number of slight differences:

DD168ADD-F3B8-463A-91DE-E147B153AB9B.jpg
']
[/URL]

']
4637D830-AADD-42BA-A9A6-3D3D2A2426C9.jpg
[/URL]

Sorry the second pic is a bit blurry.
I now know I have to get different bearings for it so that's ok.
First difference is the height (depth) of the bell part. I noticed this because when I went to fit it, I couldn't get the c-clip in the groove as it sits out further. The internal diameter is bigger on the new one too but I'm not sure thats an issue. Is it?
I got a micrometer on it and here's the measurements:

22t
8.95mm bell depth
24.04mm int. dia of bell

17t
10.03mm bell depth
26.25mm int. dia of bell

What can I do? Get it machined?

1st, you will never get a hardened clutch bell machined unless at a machine shop for more $ than a new bell would cost.
2nd, the Revo and Tmaxx use a different pitch clutch bell and spur, Tmaxx uses 32 pitch aka mod .8
The Revo uses a mod 1 pitch bell and spur and neither pitch can be used with the other.
The 17T bell you purchased looks to be a mod 1 and should fit the revo spurs.
The bigger? is, what flywheel and clutch are you using? 2 shoes, 3 shoes, 10th scale? 1/8th scale?
If the bell fits over the clutch shoes completely you can just use a 3mm screw in the end of the crank and shim between the screw head and outer clutch bell bearing. Or, if the flywheel is shimmed you can remove a shim or 2 to gain room for the e-clip and/or use a shorter clutch nut to gain even more room.
If using a standard 1/8th scale clutch setup, the traxxas bells will be to small to fit the shoes.

1st, you will never get a hardened clutch bell machined unless at a machine shop for more $ than a new bell would cost.
2nd, the Revo and Tmaxx use a different pitch clutch bell and spur, Tmaxx uses 32 pitch aka mod .8
The Revo uses a mod 1 pitch bell and spur and neither pitch can be used with the other.
The 17T bell you purchased looks to be a mod 1 and should fit the revo spurs.
The bigger? is, what flywheel and clutch are you using? 2 shoes, 3 shoes, 10th scale? 1/8th scale?
If the bell fits over the clutch shoes completely you can just use a 3mm screw in the end of the crank and shim between the screw head and outer clutch bell bearing. Or, if the flywheel is shimmed you can remove a shim or 2 to gain room for the e-clip and/or use a shorter clutch nut to gain even more room.
If using a standard 1/8th scale clutch setup, the traxxas bells will be to small to fit the shoes.

Thanks Man!
I have a 2 shoe flywheel from the T-Maxx. It's 1/10th. This is currently sitting on my picco .26 max red dot.

55F65DA5-F180-488B-9DA7-4264FE636973.jpg

C0DBA319-14CB-4E05-B15F-4E681370B889.jpg

I also bought a 36t spur here.
And the clutch bell is here.
They are the two parts I got. They go together right?

they will go together but to get a 1/10 or trx clutch to fit on a bb engine you need to shim the flywheel ,its doable but from experience to 1/10 clutch doesn't seem to like the power of a bb and throws the shoes after about a litre of fuel . I think you said you had a 3 shoe setup?? that may last a bit longer but I would budget for a hpi savage clutch set ,you can get them on ebay for around $17 shipped and that usually comes with a 17t bell ,which you will need to change because as @snookman explained the bell sizes are different due to the scale sizes is that make sense.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-X-4-...es-17t-1m-86271-A992-HPI-109083-/390937835469
heres a link to the clutch I have used on a few builds works like a treat!

I think I just had a major brain fart , you are putting the picco in the revo ?? if that's the case that trx 17t bell will work 100% I would however still upgrade the clutch if funds permit, strc makes a real nice 3 shoe setup for around $25 I have run it on many of my rigs and it holds up to mid block power great.

The spur and bell in the above links, do not fit together (different pitches).

Haha snook man is right I misread the cb the spur is correct the bell you need is 5217

Thanks a million lads.

So, my current options are
1. Get the 5217 bell + bearings and use the 2-shoe clutch I have.
2. Get a 3 shoe clutch kit from another make that a:has a 17t bell, b: fits the Picco and c: mates with the 36t spur I have.

Seems I should go option 2? Is that kit you linked suitable CM?

to be honest I've never run a bb clutch on a mid block engine I would assume that it would work with all the relevant bell and stuff.
both my mid blocks run a sb 3 shoe setup from m2c with a 17t trx bell and have lasted a few gallons so far without a drama.
maybe someone else can confirm the bb clutch setup if not I would get the 5217 bell with the strc 3 shoe ,to me its just as good as the m2c but has less tuning options in regards to springs.

B
to be honest I've never run a bb clutch on a mid block engine I would assume that it would work with all the relevant bell and stuff.
both my mid blocks run a sb 3 shoe setup from m2c with a 17t trx bell and have lasted a few gallons so far without a drama.
maybe someone else can confirm the bb clutch setup if not I would get the 5217 bell with the strc 3 shoe ,to me its just as good as the m2c but has less tuning options in regards to springs.

Brill. M2c??

Thanks. Yeah that looks the business.
However, I was thinking of adding the traxxas telemetry. for the speed/revs sensor I need a flywheel with a magnet in it I think? Is there anything out there that might be suitable.

Justs checked and I have the Revo 36t Spur on this truck.

I've now (trial) fitted the ofna mount and picco to the truck. You guys are right, there aint a lot of adjustment is there!

If you want the telemetry you need a trx flywheel I would suggest using an mip clutch if that's the case.i have found the speed output to be a real pain and the first sensor only lasted 2 tanks before failing, I now just use the tamp and volts.
can you get the gears to mesh if not you may have to dremel it out a touch it should however be fine

I would go with the M2C clutch and forget about the telemetry.
It's not very accurate and and fails frequently from all I've read, I would rather have the better clutch.

You are correct, there isn't much adjustment on the Revo Picco mount which is kinda disappointing.:confused:

The temp and volts is handy for sure .What I normally do with the temp is get reading for the ipod then get a handheld gun and see what the difference is sometime you can move the sensor around to get it a bit more accurate

Back