Brushless setup for SCX10

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys after running with my brothers rig this weekend I def want more wheel speed. I have just lost to much with my 45T motor. I have been checking brushless setups online his Vxl is great except it has no drag brake. I found this castle set up for $99.00 on ebay. Not sure about a drag brake set up on it. Also was wandering if my esc I am running is brushless capable if so I would just buy the vxl motor. I will post pics of it later tonight. It is a novak eiger I believe.
$_103.jpg

Go with the MMP set up instead. I smoked the SWv3 just trying to program it to the RX for the dead band settings on my SCX-10. All of the Castle Creations ground stuff have a programmable drag brake that is easily accessible through the Castle Link.

I was just trying to keep cost down this was on the cheaper side of the brushless setup. Ment to add this to my earlier thread dang it. Any how I have been checking out the Holmes hobbie motors real close thinking about trying one of there high quality brushed 35t motors. Maybe gear down another tooth on pinion gear may get some wheel speed back. thinking about this beast. Maybe a high quality 35t will last longer than the el cheapo motors I was running.
$_103.jpg

A good brushed motor on 3s is hard to beat for a scaler IMO. I ran a 35t motor with an older sidewinder esc on 3s in an scx, it was as smooth as silk but could pull wheelies with ease! The only problem is that 3s will eat brushes, learn to rebuild a brushed motor!

Got it thanks. I ordered an Integy 35t pro motor and I am dropping down to a 13t pinion to try and see how the motor temps are. The 14t pinion was to high still and I burnt up my last 35t motor which was a cheap Atomik brand.

Either the Hobbywing XErun setup I posted in your other thread for a low budget kick ass setup, or Castle MMP / Pro 4 or ROC412 on the high end. My Wraith with the MMP / Pro4 3300kv on 4s is silly fun, but it requires a bombproof driveline. It will find any weak points quickly. :D

Go with the MMP set up instead. I smoked the SWv3 just trying to program it to the RX for the dead band settings on my SCX-10. All of the Castle Creations ground stuff have a programmable drag brake that is easily accessible through the Castle Link.

So does the MMP with the SmartSense technology operate as good as a sensorsed brushless setup when in Sensorsed Only Mode? This question implies when used in a scale trail truck.

This from CC's website:

"SmartSense uses the motor sensors to start the motor and then it switches over to Castle’s ultra powerful and efficient dynamic sensorless mode which boosts motor efficiency. Simply put, you’ll get more power and less heat from your motor."

I personally have never run one in a sensored mode so I can't tell you that, but as far as sensorless ESCs go, up until the SWv3 fiasco I never had a problem and had really good experience with the CC products.

Sorry about thread jacking, but I plan on doing my first kit build this winter and its going to be an Axial scaler. Which one, I'm not sure yet. I want to get the electronics right the first time, and honestly I'm up in the air about what ESC to get.

The Mamba Max Pro is a good all-around choice. It can do sensored/sensorless brushless operation as well as brushed. It can handle up to 6s operation as well as having a programmable voltage regulator and drag brake. It also outputs enough current to feed both of the power-hungry servos and all of the lights without a brown-out on the RX.

Sensored is where it's at if you want a brushless setup that can go from crawl to haul at the flick of a trigger. And I run Castle BECs in all my scalers and crawlers (as well as my race truck), as even the one built into the mighty MMP's built in BEC isn't up to the task for most of my servos.

I'm really considering this option with a Holmes Hobbies Trail Master motor. I see that waterproofing the ESC will have to be done by me though.
Two servos? I thought an Axial SCX10 only needed one servo. Is two needed for steering? Or the second for a winch? Looks like I need to do more research and possibly redo my budget for this.

Ok guys another question. I have an Novak Eiger brushed or brushless ESC which I really like. My question is can I run the Traxxas vvl 3500KV motor on this esc with no issue's. I was reading online you can't go any higher than 2s which is what I run anyhow? Reason I ask is because a friend has a really good buy on a brand new VXL motor and I really like my brothers Vxl setup minus no drag brake.

This is the Esc I am running The drag brake setup is awesome. Do you guys think the vxl would perform ok with this esc.
mQXqb2Xf7PuY_ewKujQNMwA.jpg

There really shouldn't be a problem unless it won't run a sensorless motor like the VXL.

OK thanks Ham. Think I might give it a try. One more question? Is 135 degrees a high temp on a brushed motor after some pretty hardcore crawling?

I went with a tekin rx8 gen2, and a pro4hd, but they are going into the wraith, and the VXL is coming off, and getting tossed into a Tupperware container.

P.S it's sure was tough finding a place for a tekin RX8, they're fricken huge.