5.9 engine help.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey lads. Coming from Tmaxx's and 90 size nitro helis for many years I don't think I'm a newb (but no expert either).. but the 5.9 in my new xl is something else!! I know they are supposed to have issues and I did tear it down to clean and seal before break in, but what a bitch to tune!!
Put around 8 tanks through and have seen some good potential but it just won't idle. Any suggestions ??

Alright so I have made a lot of progress. Basically the factory settings are way to rich. The hsn ain't too bad but the low needed to go in a bit.
After getting a good tank on it now it seems as tho the 3 speed is stuck in top gear. Is this common?

There is nothing wrong with the 5.9 engines, I love mine but they can be a pain to tune. My advice is not to mess with the mid range screw. Also check the gap on the carb slide, mine was closed almost all the way from the factory and it would die the minute you touched the brakes.

So having some issues still. Seems I can't get it to get over 70 degrees Celsius unless I turn the hsn 2.5 turns past the mark and turn the lsp 2 turns past flush. Then it's fine until it vapour locks which takes approx 2 minutes. Unless the lsn is 2 turns past flush it can't idle.
Still using R5 plugs and 25% nitro.
Maybe lrp time.
Help please.

Have you cleaned and reoiled your air filter? It almost sounds like it has some kind of air intake restriction? maybe too much oil in the air filter?

I don't think it's that but I'll have a look.

Two things I would try is to use green slime from team associated. You just put some slime on the needle o rings and that will take care of any future air leaks. The second thing you can try is to ditch the crappy R5 glow plug for a McCoy 59. These have made my engine way better and it holds a tune better. My settings are about a turn and a half out from flush on the LSN. The HSN is around 1.25 turns past the groove. The med range needle is left alone as per HPI. I also run Byron's race gen 2000 20% with an oil content of 12%.

Two things I would try is to use green oilslime from team associated. You just put some slime on the needle o rings and that will take care of any future air leaks. The second thing you can try is to ditch the crappy R5 glow plug for a McCoy 59. These have made my engine way better and it holds a tune better. My settings are about a turn and a half out from flush on the LSN. The HSN is around 1.25 turns past the groove. The med range needle is left alone as per HPI. I also run Byron's race gen 2000 20% with an oil content of 12%.

I've already done the slime but I'll try the plug. 1.5 turns rich on the lsn? Mine would hydro lock with that. Mine seems to need 1.5 turns in on the lsn and 2 turns past flush on the hsn just to idle. Even then it runs at 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Way to cold.
Thanks.

Back