scx10 trans gears?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok guys wanting to upgrade my scx10 trans with steel gears. I am looking at Hot racing sets. They make a lightened gear set and a heavy duty set. Leaning more towards the light gear set to save some weight. I have researched other forums and found a lot of people really like the HR gears, some say better than the RRP stuff. What's the crawler experts on here say. I trust the info you guys give me above all. Thanks. I have stripped one plastic geared trans once my fault though, pushing wraith up a bad hill climb. Here's link to the HR gears . Also thinking about trying out this motor Holmes hobby.Seems everyone praises these Holmes motor's.

$_103.jpg

$_103.jpg

$_103.jpg

Holmes products and service are top notch, I love my Holmes stuff! He can even tell you based on what you want to do with your rig, what it weighs etc what he would recommend. Supershafty's bombproof trannies run HR gearsets, that's good enough for me. Lots of guys on RCC that are way more abusive on things than me run them, and they hold up under some stupid power. Like brushless on 6S. :eek:

Sweet man thanks. Looks like the HR gear lightened gears it is and that holmes hobby motor. My RC4WD is a great motor. Just thought I would get a better quality motor for durability. My brother and I have been really abusing our rigs pretty hard lately. I am starting to dig on these scalers and crawlers a lot. My nitro stuff mostly sits. anymore.

One thing I'll mention, is that brushed motors require more maintenance and rebuilds, especially for what they get put through with scalers if you run in mud and muck. May want to go brushless if you don't want to do that on a regular basis. I've had to turn down a comm in as little as 6 packs on the Wraith, that's why I went brushless for it. Heavy scalers and high voltage under load really do a number on brushes and comms both.

I'm not a huge mud guy some but mainly hill climbing and trailing. My RC4WD has held up good it has about 4 packs through it so far. It is the 45t motor. I was cooking the cheap brands 35T because of the weighted wheels I run. I am not sure what the previous owner installed but they are weighted very heavy. Sucks because I lost wheel speed with the 45T. But I can pull my bro's wraith up anything LOL! Was thinking brushless but right now I don't want to put out that kind of cash. I will be swapping out my Gmade portals in the near future for a set of wraith axles. Prob be build time this winter. Want to build a Broncho LOL. Here's how she stands now. I really like the Gmade portals but I keep bending my stub axle's on roll overs.

Attachments

• bronco 4.jpg
    bronco 4.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 254
If you're going to swap axles, I can heartily recommend the Vanquish Currie axles. The machine work is second-to-none and they are much stronger than stock for both the SCX-10 and Wraith versions.

I can also say that I liked the parts for my Losi Micro D/T that were made by Hot racing.

I have a bombproof SuperShafty axial transmission. I put hot racing gears in it, but not the lighter drive gear, since I wasn't convinced that the lighter gear would be as strong as the standard version. You can also have them prebuilt for you by Rick at SuperShafty, but when I was shopping he didn't have any prebuilt ones available, so I asked him to include everything I'd need to build it myself. At the time I was lucky enough to score one of the 22 L.E Harley-shafty VP splatter patten trans-case instead of normal coloured VP, or hot-racing ones that I usually see.

P.S Sorry FastEddy I had to swapped out the FastEddy bearings that came with the trans-kit for.......FastEddy ceramic bearings.;)

Well we will see how well the light weight set holds up. I am sure they will be stronger than the stock plastic gears. I am not running big power to them anyhow. If they break we will know there junk LOL!

Never had a problem with the gears in the original transmission running a 5900kV brushless and 2s LiPo. The problems I had were keeping the driveshafts connected to the diffs and the tranny.

I stripped the idle gear in my original trans. Following weekend my brother stripped the same gear in his. But he is running a Traxxas VXL system.

If I strip the HR light weight steel gears I will upgrade to the super shafty bomb proof trans.

The RC4WD is no slouch with all-metal 32p gears.

:cheers:Hey Hulk I just changed my tranny gears out to the all metal axial versions. Can you say" time for a side by side longevity test" ? Lol If we abuse them side by side this weekend suppose we'll see!

Sweet except I doubt my gear set will be in by then. But that's a good idea you got the axial brand right?

Back