3w oil??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
has anyone tried or uses this oil , I have some for my my savage octane that my lhs recommended my only concern is that the 3w oil states a 50:1 but my manual most other sources say 25:1

I have the savage octane and several 1/5th scale RC's and the most recommended oil out there is Castor 927 and you do need to mix it at 25:1 it doesn't matter what it says on the bottle. One key thing to remember with 2 stoke gas engines is that it is better to have to much oil and foul a plug or two then not enough and ruin you engine from lack of lubrication.

Is that castor 927 synthetic? , this 3w is fully synthetic and my lhs says that's why it is run at 50:1.
Being in Australia and probably one of the first ones to own an octane in my state there is no support for it here at all.

Here is the info from castor.
Castor 927 is a unique blend of highly refined castor oil, a specially prepared synthetic and an additive system that reduces carbon and gum formation and provides excellent rust and corrosion protection. Castor 927 also contains an exclusive additive that keeps power valves cleaner and working properly. For all of us that wish to keep our air and water cleaner, Castor 927 is biodegradable. Castor 927 keeps on lubricating; where other lubricants turn to carbon or vaporize, and provides extra protection on cylinder walls, bearing journals and other critical areas at temperatures much higher than other lubricants. Castor 927 is ideally suited as a premix for both leaded and unleaded fuels.
This is the oil recommended by O'Neil Brothers Racing. They take stock engines and turn them into racing monsters. So I trust their recommendations. They also recommend a couple of other oils yamalube is one I don't remember what the other is.
They recommend no less than 28:1 in their engines using the oils they mention and if i'm not mistaken one of them is fully synthetic. I have always used Castor 927 in my Octane mixed at 25:1 and have had no issues. As far as the oil you mentioned maybe contact HPI and see what they have to say. I would just hate to see someone spend $800 + on a truck and ruin the engine because the mix wasn't right.
Good luck either way

Back