dry lube?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiritdriven7

RCTalk Basher
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This seems like the place to ask this question: Have you used anything like this teflon dry lube for metal/plastic friction points such as the pivot balls or steering bell crank? It works well for me on metal actions, but they don't have to deal with the dirt to the degree rc's do. I'm also considering using this in my bearings once they're cleaned. Just curious about the advantages this might have on handling primarily. Thanks.

Attachments

• teflon lube.jpg
    teflon lube.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 340
I use Dupont Teflon Milti-use lubricant on my plastic spur gears. I dries and does not attract dirt. It's probably the same stuff you are using. It seems to work well as most of my gears show very little signs of wear. Before I started using it, the gears were dry and experiencing a lot of friction wear. It would probably be OK to use it on your other parts too except your bearings. The bearings are designed to run in grease. The grease takes up a specific amount of space between the ball and the bearing race. If you replace the grease with teflon, it might allow the balls to slop around and be damaged. Good bearings with a rubber seal should provide enough protection from dirt.

I use dry Teflon on certain points that otherwise would collect dirt if grease or oil was used......bearings need grease though

Thanks...I have used a bearing blaster on the first few steering knuckle/axle bearings and cleaned enough crud out to build a berm. I know it can't be completely prevented but I'd like to minimize build-up in the future. I have a silicone grease but I haven't used it in high speed/friction areas. I'm not sure how well it will hold up.

Moo-Slick from Cow RC, it was great on my bearings. I also used it on my drive shafts and any other moving part.

Back