.32 Nitro Engine Over Heating Problems Need Help Asap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitrolife

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey everyone iv got a .32 nitro engine that keeps over heating after 1 tank of fuel its not fully tune yet and is running a no.8 plug car is about 3 weeks old and has had about 5 liters of fuel though it iv been told to try and richen it up but didn't work

Check for air leaks. If it is sucking air it will run lean and run hot.

An air leak will normally show up at idle = hard to tune idle mixture & rpm . . .

What temp is it? What makes you say it's hot?

I use temp to safety check, but I have now learned to tune by sound and watching/feeling what the engine is doing . . .

If the engine is running hot, most likely you are running lean on the high speed needle.

Before you start tuning

1. check your plug . . . if you have been running lean enough to run the engine hot, likely you have distored your plug - make sure the coils are not deformed.

2. make sure the engine is up to running temp (one upon a time I would start moving needles when the engine was still warming up - I now know I was wasting my time as the tune would change when the engine was up to temp - in fact, if the engine runs really well when you first start it, it's an indication that your tune is too lean - it should run rich when the engine is cold)

Richen up the high speed needle (say,1/2 a turn or more) until it is obviously rich at WOT/wide open throttle (rich = blubbering and not reaching higher rpm, lots of smoke).

Then work back . . . . do WOT run; listening to the engine . . . gradually lean the mixture an hour at a time (imagine needle adjustements/movement of the needle as a clock face - 1 hours = moving the needle from 1pm to 2pm))

Do a WOT run = rich . . . blubbering, slow to reach max rpm, max rpm is low,lots of smoke - lean out the high speed needle 1 hour (screw in 1 hour)

Do a WOT run = better . . . higher rpm, less bog . . . . lean the high speed needle 1 hour

Do a WOT run = better again . . higher rpm, less bog . . . lean the high speed needle 1 hour

Do a Wot run = high RPM, slight smoke trail, clean sounding engine (not blubbering, deeper tone, not pingie/zingie tone).

Then check your temps . . .

I hope this helps.

i hevent got a temp thing yet but the car dose half a talk and cuts out and its blowing a lot of smoke but if i lean it out it just gets hotter and thanks for the advise

i hevent got a temp thing yet but the car dose half a talk and cuts out and its blowing a lot of smoke but if i lean it out it just gets hotter and thanks for the advise
So you're saying engine cuts out when it gets down to half a tank of fuel? And its a new engine?
To get an idea of your temps try the spit method.
After the engine is warmed up put a drop of water or spit on the top cooling fin. It should sizzle and evaporate within a couple seconds. If it bounces off immediately you're too hot (lean), if the water sits there and does nothing, you're too cold (rich)

Also try the troubleshooting flow chart.
http://rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/#post-537066

Last edited: