I need help with 2.5R engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler99k

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a Traxxas Rustler with a 2.5R engine. When I start it, it seems fine but if I give anymore then about 40 percent throttle it dies any advice?

Does it bog out with a lot of smoke present?

yeah I think so

If there is a ton of smoke present during the bog then I would have to assume your tune is too rich

Ok so I forgot do I need to adjust the high speed or low speed needle, sorry for all the questions I used to know all of this I just haven't messed with any of my cars in like 3 years

The big needle is your hsn "the fuel line is cinnected to it"this is your main adjustment, once you get that tuned decent we will move on to the lsn, screw it in 1/16th at a time and make a few runs,do you have a temperature gauge

yeah I have a temp gun but I am gonna wait like an hour because last time I checked it was 106 outside this heat is crazy

Way too hot for me to be outside dude, lol....after a hard run the engine block just below the head should be around 250, this is a safe zone, those traxxas mills like to run hotter but let's stay safe for now

alright I just put about a whole tank through it after tuning the HSN it ran did fine when I really got on it, but it seems like for some reason It was bogging down at lower speeds and it seemed like there wasn't very much range of slow speed high speed was fine though, and sorry for such a long reply I am not very good at explaining things.

P.S. I couldn't check the temp someone took the friggin battery's out of my temp gun

Just make sure there is a smoke trail, a drop of water on the head at the glow plug will tell you if it's too hot, if it instantly sizzles away it's too hot,.....is there plenty of smoke when you start from a stop?

not very much at all from a stop but when I give it more throttle...yeah

May be lean on the bottom, try turning the lsn out an 1/8th turn

alright ill do that tomorrow and give you an update its night outside now

Back