Making a roll cage/chassis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegigabyte

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm trying to first make a metal body for my mrc. It may also become a chassis depending on how much weight it adds. I like the tube chassis look like the lexan body has. I'm also going to put in sheet metal panels when finished. I'm concerned ab

out the weight and how much it will change the COG. Anyways I'm almost finished with the tubing but I ran out. So far only $3 total. Its an exact match except for the extended roll cage. Its very easy to make I just hold it up to the body and cut out the parts.
Any suggestions?

120709_17271.jpg

Set it on the truck, I think it looks cool without body panels.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad at all.

Thanks, its my first attempt. Once I clean up the welds its going to look really slick.

Looks good. So what are you making it from, 3/16 brake line brazed? or solid rod welded?

I found some solid rod at the hobby store, 5/32 music wire is what its labeled. Didnt make it to an auto store so I bought this. So far it weighs 6 oz, lexan body is 1.10 oz I'm using a mig welder, a crappy one.

Last edited:
That is looking really nice, specially for your first time having a go at making it. Personally would turn it into a chassis if you can to help offset the added weight of the tube body.

Well I finished, but I failed. Spent all day building it, with a splitting headache. Tried my best to make a chassis, but was to hard to line everything up. Also tried as many ways as I could think of to just mount the body and came up with using the plastic posts. I dont have many spare parts to try a different mounting option. Got it mounted up and the servo hits when moving the suspension. WHen it was in mock up the left side wasn't on so I never saw it would hit. I now see the front bends in about 1/2 inch more then the lexan body. My head is still killing me so I'm just going to give up. Maybe another day I will look at it more to see if I can salvage it and make a chassis. I may make cardboard templates for the 3 link mount and engine mounts. Thankfully I didnt ruin any stock parts and it can still be driven.

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Hell none the less you have something really cool to put on your shelf:)

If at first you don't succeed try try again, LOL!!!! and a good first attempt it was, I'm sure with a little trial and error you will get one to work.

cut and modify!!! its all about trial and error... that cage looks awsome for a 1st time!! best part about it is that you havent spent too much on it, its YOUR creation and once tweaked it will work perfectly for you!!

I have long given up on that project, but I found a use for it, I put my soldering iron in it while its hot.

Back