Another heli build....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobuzzard

Useless NOOB!!
Reaction score
Neither here...nor there...but everywhere
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm at it again!! LOL In case you guys haven't figured it out by now, I'm a heli-nut!!

This particular build is for a buddy of mine, as the last one was. I was going to purchase this one but decided not to so my buddy did and asked me to build it. After getting it as far as I have, I have decided that I will have to purchase the fuselage for my Raptor. We will be doing an airshow for the 4th at a local flying field and the thought of twin MD530's flying across the sky is something I cannot pass up...hehe

Here's the run down on it...

Thunder Tiger MD530 Anti-tank model. The military heli's have always sparked an interest more so than the civilian types, although a Eurocopter would be sweet.....but pricey...lol

Raptor 50 V2 mechanics

I've only a few pics of it and forgot my camera for the "out of the box" pics. I started Monday night and this is how it looks now. (Wednesday night) I will be adding more as progress is made.

*note the drink can under the tail boom for size comparison, yes it's a full size can....LOL*

100_0521.jpg

100_0522.jpg

100_0518.jpg

100_0520.jpg

100_0519.jpg

100_0523.jpg

100_0524.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.......I'm hoping to have it completed by the end of the week......

Oh yea, the Raptor mechanics were already built thus the reason for the speedy build....lol

-NB

Last edited:
Nice chopper. Keep the progress reports coming.

Got the rocket launchers and the exhaust vent mounted last night. Tonight I start work on the custom exhaust for it. Going to route it out the back where the exhaust vent is on the full size heli. Should be interesting to say the least. I'm going to use copper tubing to get it to the back. My only concern at this point is bracing it so the plumbing doesn't vibrate against the fuse. We'll see how it comes out. I had to remove the mechanics last night to get the measurements thus the reason they are not in these pics.

Hope to have a few more for you guys tommorow evening, maybe tonight but I doubt it...LOL

100_0525.jpg

100_0526.jpg

Sweet.....I really would like to build on of those ......someday.

Keep the pics coming, nice work BTW..

Talon

Thanks for the kind words Talon....

Here's some more pics for ya' guys!!

Here's a few pics of the "custom" exhaust I did for it......Looks awesome when it's running, I'll get a few shots of that this weekend hopefully..

100_0535.jpg

100_0534.jpg

Here's where it exits the fuselage..(I know, it's looks like a bunghole...LOL)

100_0536.jpg

And here's a few of the FINISHED product, pictures do not do it justice....

100_0540.jpg

100_0543.jpg

100_0544.jpg

100_0550.jpg

100_0541.jpg

Hope it ya' like it!

I guess the only thing left now is for to build MINE!! LOL As stated earlier, I built this for a buddy....time to start on mine now...hehe

-NB

Last edited:
That's a real beauty. Very nice job on the "bunghole". Seriously, nicely done.
Next time you might want to consider flexible aluminum tubing to keep down the weight. Heavy copper and solder adds up. Check your balance carefully before she goes up.

awesome job!

i dont know a dang thing about heli's. but that sure does look sharp

Thanks guys!

It was actually a little "too" nose heavy when I was pre-fitting everything in the fuselage. The copper helped to even it out some. It's still a tad bit nose heavy but I would prefer it to be that way instead of the alternative...lol

The flexible aluminum tubing is something that didn't even cross my mind, had I thought of it, that's what would be in it now instead of the copper, thanks for reminding me about that! :thumbup:

-NB

I was wondering of they have one with a scale head instead of the Bell/Hiller mixing?

Century makes scale heads for their line-up, they look sweet but they are pricey!! You can get them from other companies but the price just goes way up.....LOL....Raptor doesn't offer a scale head as far as I know of but then again, I really haven't checked into it....

Thanks again hamz....

-NB

Looking good my friend. That is one heck of nice looking heli. I wish I could fly a heli. Unfortunately that is one of the hardest things to fly in RC... if not the hardest. That and I don't know anybody that flies locally that would be able to train me.

Tom

Thanks bud....

Flying a heli isn't that difficult IF your willing to devote some time and have patience with it. I've been flying them for a few years now and have just got to where I feel comfortable enough to try some inverted stuff. Needles to say, I found out I'm not ready for that just yet...LOL

Get you a good sim, G3.5 IMO, and start with that. I've realized that on that particular sim, it's actually harder to hover on it than being at the field.

Again, the 2 key elements are devotion and patience.....

-NB

Who makes G3.5... is that Great Planes?

Paitence is the key.... You are certainly right about that. Sims would be great... if you crash... just hit reset! LOL

Tom

Man that is SWEEEEET....

Nice workmanship.........I wonder how hot that copper will get.......

Next we would like to the mini guns go live....;)

TalonOne

LOL.....yea the reset button is nice...been trying to figure out how I can put one on my radio...LOL

and that would be a yes on the G3.5.....Great Planes makes that one

Thanks Talon.....I wanted to mount some bottle rockets in the tubes but.....figured it would just crash the heli....ya' know, get hung in the tube and explode...LOL

and oh yea, the copper gets HOT! Good thing this won't be a daily flyer, only be flown for short periods for airshows....

-NB

Last edited:
You might also look at Doing a Kiowa Warrior (OH-58D) That would be another fun Military Bird.

...I wanted to mount some bottle rockets in the tubes but.....figured it would just crash the heli....ya' know, get hung in the tube and explode...LOL-NB
Totally forbidden by the AMA. Absolutely NOTHING incendiary is allowed.
Little bags of flour hitting the ground with a little poof if you get permission is about the limit. Or a pilot with a parachute.

You might still consider going with the aluminum tubing, since it would dissipate the heat much quicker, and cool off MUCH faster after shutting down. That thick wall copper you used will cause you some problems.

Totally forbidden by the AMA. Absolutely NOTHING incendiary is allowed.

yea I know, another reason I didn't mount them.....:cheers:

As far as the copper tubing goes, time will tell I guess. One thing I do know, I'm not going to tear it apart to change it....lol

I'll keep a close eye on it and if something comes up, I'll change it then...like I said, it's not going to be flown very often.......

Back